Three Year Work Plan
Federation of Nepali Journalists (FNJ)
- Build the FNJ Headquarters building within the next three years.
- Establish a “Legal Wing” within the FNJ Headquarters. The Wing will collect data related to working journalists and physical insecurity related to their work as well as lobby for implementation of law and issues of building a policy. The Wing will also advocate in favor of working journalists in Court. The Wing will also conduct a legal campaign to enforce the Government and private sector to work for the benefit of working journalists.
- Establish a “Federation of Nepali Journalists Media Training Center”. FNJ will actively work for the empowerment of professional, accountable and responsible journalism through the Center. FNJ will create a database of senior as well as leading trainers in the field of journalism.
- FNJ will establish a system to run the FNJ through a FNJ Secretariat led by a professional management person. A Professional Team will be prepared in this regard. The existing staff will be supported in “capacity building” to be included in the Team.
- FNJ will work with the central view to raise the professional standards of working journalists and their physical security.
- FNJ will work to promote the freedom of press and the freedom of expression. FNJ will also continuously lobby for the physical security of working journalists.
- FNJ will conduct a campaign to rebuild itself and purify its membership base. We will have to wait for rebuilding until the country itself is rebuilt. In order to purify our membership base, we will build a “scientific form” and insist on its implementation when we add new members or renew old membership.
- FNJ will develop a transparent work structure. In general, FNJ will develop its policy and focus on its implementation through the decision of the Secretariat, available Central Committee Members and the Regional Committees. The Central Committee Members will be held more responsible in case of emergency decisions as provided by the clauses in the FNJ Constitution.
- FNJ will conduct a campaign to emphasize on professional skill development and the implementation of the code of ethics for responsible, accountable, answerable and trustworthy journalism. FNJ will also direct its Branches, Associate Organizations and Institutional Branches to conduct at least one training, discussion or workshop on investigative journalism and professional capacity building. Another one training, discussion or workshop should be conducted on the code of conduct.
- FNJ will conduct an additional training and practicable workshop for journalists coming from groups belonging to Indigenous-Janjati, Madesh, Women, Dalit Community, Far-Western and Karnali Region.
- FNJ will pressure the Government to implement a proportionate system while handing over government advertisements for the benefit of media houses with small investments (including radio, weeklies, rural and other newspapers in mother languages). FNJ will also analyze the Government policy on advertisements of social benefit.
- FNJ will work to pressure the Government to amend laws and change existing policies or work procedures to create a conducive and transparent atmosphere of investment in the Nepali media.
- FNJ will conduct a continuous campaign to make the concept of “New Media” and internet based journalism more Nepali journalism friendly at a policy level.
- FNJ will adopt a transparent mechanism to run the Journalist Welfare Fund as well as continue the programs being run by previous Central Committees for the conflict affected and their general welfare.
- FNJ will keep on pressuring the Government for the establishment of a legal investigation commission to investigate the killings of journalists who have advocated press freedom and freedom of expression.